Adult Interstate Compact


The Interstate Compact provides federal statutory authority for regulating the transfer of adult parole and probation supervision across state boundaries in a manner that promotes effective supervision strategies consistent with public safety, individual accountability, and victim’s rights.

For more information on Interstate Compact:

  • Contact your parole or probation officer or the North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation at 701.328.6193 or 701.328.6190;
  • Review North Dakota's Frequently Asked Questions;
  • Visit Navigating the Compact for general information; or
  • Visit ICOTS Public Web Portal for the public portal.
    • The public portal is to search for information about individuals who have completed the transfer process to another state, or are in another state with permission while the transfer of supervision is under consideration.

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
What triggers the compact?

An individual subject to supervision who wishes to relocate to another state.

When considering a discretionary (non-mandatory) transfer, what can the individual do to improve their chances of being accepted?

Discretionary transfers have the best chance for approval when it is clearly demonstrated that their chances of success are higher in the receiving state. Generally, it helps to have a solid job offer, suitable residence, completed treatment, all fines, court cost and restitution are paid and a favorable history of supervision. Even if all of the previously mentioned steps have been taken there are no guarantees that a discretionary transfer will be approved.

Do states typically charge a fee to complete the transfer application?

Some states charge a fee to process an interstate transfer request application. Individuals should discuss this with their supervising officer when exploring the possibility of relocating. The individual should also ask about the receiving state’s policies in regards to their fees and cost of supervision.

North Dakota charges a $150, non-refundable application fee.

If an individual is incarcerated but will be released on parole soon; can they be released directly to another state?

An individual can apply for transfer within 120 days of release if the officials in the sending state allow it. We suggest that the individuals discuss it with their caseworker at the institution.

I plan to attend a 90-day treatment program in another state. Do I need to transfer through the Compact?

Attending an out-of-state treatment program for more than 45 days requires transferring your supervision through the Compact. However, enrolling in an out-of-state program by itself does not constitute a mandatory acceptance.